FeedBurner FeedCount

10 April 2008

Working while eating, not a good experience




















Are you still working?
This "workhorse" expression has been used by cheerful and hard working waiters and waitresses for too many years now to determine if a diner has completed a meal. The term is never used in the very finest establishments in Los Angeles, but I can see it creeping in unless something is done fast.

The young waitstaff all mean well, I understand, but the word "working" simply doesn't work when asking patrons if they have completed their meal.

My silent response as I nod politely: No, I'm eating. I would never arrive in a restaurant expecting to be seated and having to go to work.

Alternative suggestions: "May I take your plate?" Or, more directly, "Have you completed your meal?" Or how about optimistically, "Are you still enjoying your dinner?"

Another, wordless measure, used to prove quite satisfactory; when the diner had finished eating, he or she simply placed the fork and knife in the four o'clock position. Sometimes, actions speak more eloquently than words.

No comments: